The island Lokrum is situated near Dubrovnik. Lokrum (Lacroma) is a small island located just off the coast from Dubrovnik. It is the southernmost of a series of offshore islands that protect the city of Dubrovnik.
>== Pictures of Lokrum Island==
- Support us and upload pictures of Lokrum Island (you need to be registered to upload pictures).
- Island More pictures of Lokrum Island
How to get to Lokrum Island
Regular boat taxis run from Dubrovnik to the island. The travel time is approximately ten minutes.
Here is Lokrum Island located
Use the mouse and the +/- buttons on the left to navigate within the map of Lokrum Island.
History of Lokrum Island
Lokrum has a long history, first mentioned when a Benedictine monastery was founded there in 1023. The monks were the first to plant exotic vegetation, and this tradition lent the island its name, from the Latin “acrumen,” for “sour fruit.” Legend says that Richard the Lion-Heart was shipwrecked here in 1192 while returning home from the Crusades, and pledged to build a church on the island. But the city of Dubrovnik begged for the edifice to be built in the city, and so it was located there. The French built a fort on Lokrum in the era of Napoleon, in 1806. Emperor Maximilian of Austria built a mansion and expansive botanical garden on the island in 1859. After his execution it was surrendered to the Hapsburgs and passed to Yugoslavia in the Treaty of Saint-Germain. Most of the island is now a nature preserve.
What to see in Lokrum Island
- The former monastery (closed in 1798) is a beautiful contrast of gray stone, green trees and flowering plants.
- The Napoleonic star-shaped fort, Forte Royale, is located on the highest point and offers expansive views of the island, Dubrovnik, and the nearby village of Cavtat,
- A Botanical Garden was opened in 1959 featuring subtropical plants from South America to Australia. The collection of succulents, cacti, and eucalyptuses is particularly impressive.
- Peacocks roam the island freely.
Where to stay in Lokrum Island
- You know some good accomodations in Lokrum Island? Write them down here.
Hotels in Lokrum Island
Camping sites in Lokrum Island
Private accomodations in Lokrum Island
Sports & leisure opportunities in Lokrum Island
Walking trails around the island are easy to follow…
Beaches in Lokrum Island
A small inland salt lake on the island, called Mrtvo More (Dead Sea), provides safe bathing for children and non-swimmers
Most of the ocean beaches are rocky, thickly surrounded by pines.
There is a nudist beach at the southeastern end of the island which is considered one of the best in naturist circles.
Where to eat in Lokrum Island
There is a restaurant in the former monastery.
Nightlife and entertainment in Lokrum Island
- You know nice bars or dicos in Lokrum Island? Write them down here.
Cultural events in Lokrum Island
- Do you cultural events in Lokrum Island? Write them down here.
Excursions in the region of Lokrum Island
Sea kayaking expeditions from Dubrovnik which include a visit to Lokrum are possible.
- Forum about Croatia
- News of Croatia
|This article needs your support to be finished. If you know more about Lokrum Island please add your knowledge to this article. On this page you can find more information of how you can contribute to this wiki.|
CommentsSo empty here ... leave a comment!